Volunteer Opportunities - Click Here to apply.
The Columbus Santa Maria volunteer program is intended to
present quality service to the public, support for the staff and to provide a rewarding
experience for the volunteer.
Selection of volunteers is based on current needs of the Administrative Office and the
skills and qualifications of the applicant.
Adult and Teen Interpreters/Tour Guides
1. Must be familiar with the structures and operation of the ship
2. Be familiar with the general historic context of the Santa Maria in 1492
3. Be prepared to oversee the publics safety while touring the ship
4. Be in sound physical condition and able to withstand a minimum of four hours in outdoor
Work seasonal operating hours weekdays/weekends 4 hours minimum per week
1. Have basic knowledge of tools and carpenter skills
2. Be in sound physical condition and able to withstand outdoor conditions
3. May be asked to set sails, maintain rigging and related activities
4. May be asked to assist in cleanup of ship and surrounding areas
Varied daytime hours year round
1. Help with basic filing, sorting and posting
2. Help with special mailings or events
3. Answer the phone, book tours, rentals, and overnight education programs
4. Knowledge of basic computer skills would be a benefit
Year round opportunities, minimum 4 hours a week or for special projects
We need qualified grant writers to help us procure grants to continue our mission of
education through community involvement.
Work from home
1. The applicant must be able to schedule and oversee our teen volunteer staff and provide
support for their activities.
2. Must be able to work well with teens.
Varied amount of time spring through fall
Overnight Educational Program Staff
1. Must be college age or older.
2. Must have basic climbing skills
3. Must be physically sound and able to sleep on the ship's deck and direct physical
activities in all kinds of weather.
4. Some knowledge of knot tying, compass work and sailing would be helpful.
Most Overnight Programs are held on Friday or Saturday nights 6:00 PM to 10:00 AM, minimum
of two times per month.